Far from Home, Safe and Sound – Mishpacha
Mishpacha Magazine’s in-depth article on the significance of girls’ safety in seminary programs and the work of Magen Yeladim Child Safety Institute founder Debbie Fox, LCSW. Mrs. Fox’s new guide, Seminary Savvy, aims to bring the safety-consciousness of seminary programs to a whole new level.
What are some of the safety concerns? What are seminaries and professionals doing to avert them? And what should every seminary girl know?
Topics in the book include:
- learning to heed one’s inner voice
- relating to males appropriately (rebbeim, fathers of chesed families, Shabbos hosts, relatives)
- safety on tiyulim, taxis, and public transportation
- Shabbos Visiting 101
- nutrition, sleeping right, and
- establishing healthy boundaries with friends, newlywed siblings, teachers, and chesed families
“We presented a holistic approach to very real situations that happen during the seminary year,” Mrs. Fox says. “It’s about empowering girls and parents to create the healthiest, greatest year.”